April 18, 2008

Progress?

Today I went in for physical therapy and left with a new machine. It is a lumbar traction machine. I am supposed to use it 2-3 times a day for 15 minutes each time. It is this flat thing that you lay on and strap yourself into. Once snugly strapped into the cocoon, you increase tension by using the attached hand-held pump. As you do, there is a flat piece that slowly moves, stretching you as it applies pressure to your back.

Once the pressure is right, you set the pump and lay there. Apparently this manipulates the disc in such a way that allows for relief. There is less pressure on the disc, and the piece that herniated stops pushing against the nerve.

I have done traction three times today. I am feeling pretty good. We went for a walk, I have been up and around a lot, I did some laundry, made dinner, and I am not in much pain. This makes me happy. (this sounds like a lazy day for most, but for me lately, this is a fairly productive day)

So, assuming this continues to assist in improving my back, I should be able to work soon. That will be good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home