March 18, 2008

Update

I am still laying on the floor. I am still off of work. I will be off until March 29 (at least).

The current plan involves physical therapy three times a week and very frequent visits to the chiropractor. Fortunately, my physical therapist (Rick) and my chiropractor (Dr. Kik) both respect each other and are working together well. I have found that chiropractors and physical therapists don't usually play well together. They are a bit like cats and dogs. Which is a bummer, because while you could make arguments why one animal is better than the other, the world clearly needs both.

The somewhat official consensus is that I have a bulging disc. My physical therapy appointment consists of a good half hour of painful muscle work where Rick finds the muscle he feels needs to be relaxed and pushes on it until it releases. This usually takes about eight to ten minutes for each muscle he works. Then I go to this room where they give me an ultrasound (to increase circulation) and then hook me up to electrodes and lay a heating pad on my for fifteen minutes. After that I go to the gym where I do my stretches, and they send me home. I currently have a bruise the diameter of a golf ball on my hip.

I actually really like Rick and everyone that I work with at Health Motion. They are all very friendly, and actually care, or at least do a good job at pretending to care, which is good enough for me.

I have made progress, but today I am really sore. I have been doing all of my stretches at home, and we have been walking as much as I can. If there isn't significant improvement in two weeks, they are going to schedule an MRI.

So for now, I lay on the floor. I started reading the book Cold Tangerines and am almost finished. I have watched far too much television. If anyone has any book recommendations, please feel free to leave it in the comments.

With spring right around the corner, I hope to be better very soon so I can thoroughly enjoy the season.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tony Petty said...

The Bible.

3:28 PM

 
Blogger Rick and Vicki said...

Tara,
So sorry to hear your back is giving you trouble again. I will pray for you. This has been a rough and very cold winter which probably hasn't helped. The first day of Spring is tomorrow. (I think).
I hope you feel better soon!
Vicki

8:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home