August 21, 2008

Home Sweet Home

We returned home late Tuesday night, quickly making our way to our bed to get some much needed sleep.

The trip to South Carolina unfortunately turned out to not be a vacation but a very stressful experience in many ways.

We did have some fun, including swimming in the ocean at Myrtle Beach as well as the date night that Tony and I had. We went out to dinner and spent some time together on the beach. It was a very much needed time to ourselves.

I have a few battle wounds from the trip, including a gouge in my leg from a fight with my brother, a detached fingernail that hurts like hell (I will never get acrylic nails again), a cut in my other index finger, and I am coming down with a cold. I figure the combination of the stress and poor eating has lead to a weakened immune system.

The good news is that my back doesn't hurt. In fact, it is doing really well.

I learned that while I love my mom very much, spending one week with her traveling is not a good idea.

I also noticed some alarming realities about dynamics of relationships, similarities in ways stress is handled, and the way I deal with poor situations. Hopefully I will remember what I have learned and actually act on it.

I was amazed at how great of a peacemaker Tony is. I have always known he is kind and gentle, but this trip really showed me how easily Tony can stay calm and have grace even when people treat him poorly. He really is an amazing man.

So all in all, not the vacation we hoped for, but we have some great memories and learned more about ourselves.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tony Petty said...

;-)

1:19 PM

 
Blogger Kate Rudd said...

I'm glad you guys are safely home, and sorry that dimensions of the trip took a costly toll..I'm impressed with the way you're already managing to gain perspective and pull the valuable pieces from your experience.

You're a smart lady. The bit about Tony made me smile, too.

:)

See you soon!

6:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home