January 09, 2009

Our Crazy Car

Today we brought our car in to have some work done. The rear drivers side wheel bearing needed to be replaced, and we did not want to repeat our experience in Chicago when the passenger side went bad.

Money has been tight lately, which is the story lately with pretty much everyone, so we have been waiting to have it done. Over Christmas for various reasons we accumulated some extra unexpected money. When we called to get a quote for the work to be done, it was exactly the amount that we have received. We have to wait to deposit one of the checks for a while, which brought down how much extra we had. Today, when the mechanic called and told us it was ready to pick up, the new total was now exactly the same amount of the new balance of money.

And the mechanic we brought our car to we met earlier this summer at a party and his shop is within walking distance, so we did not need to hassle with rides or public transportation.

When we picked up our car, the noise it was making was gone and we were feeling really great about the entire situation.

Then we got on the highway.

Fortunately, the roads were kinda bad so traffic was moving pretty slow. When we hit about 50mph we noticed that there appeared to be a large sheet of ice moving up our hood onto our windshield. It didn't take long to notice that it was not ice, but our hood. Our hood had somehow popped open and was now laying flat against our windshield. This is not a good situation to be in when the slick highway is busy and you are in the left lane.

We were able to pull over safely and assess the damage. The windshield was not shattered and we were able to get the hood to securely latch. No major damage was caused, just some big dents in the hood and other cosmetic damage.

We went back to the mechanic. They said that they did not even open the hood, which makes sense. They did take a look at it and said that there was nothing structurally damaged, just cosmetic issues.

I am so grateful that we were not injured and the windshield didn't shatter. Unfortunately, I think Tony will be forever afraid of our car. I think he was just getting over his fear from the last horrifying events that have happened. But it is still running and hasn't killed us yet.


Blogger Kate Rudd said...


That's so scary!

I hate being attacked by windshields while driving. My close call was on the GH bridge, and all I could think was how moch worse it would have felt if my kids were in the car..so I'm just cringing thinking of the stress you must have felt in those long moments. I'm so glad all three of you are alright.

7:38 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home